The Whole Shyt n Kaboodle

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

24 Hours Braced

     It has been a day and then some since I have been braced. My mouth does not feel as though it is in a vice, and my inner lips and cheeks rubbed I did good. I ate well, although it averages a minimum of an hour eating time. That was two hot chili dogs. Any hour eating is my limit so far. For dinner I got in the 1/4 of a porterhouse that was tender, some potatoes, and some cauliflower in my hour. I was tired of mock-chewing and it felt so gross in my mouth.

     I have wax, silicone, and lip guards to help during time of complete frustration of pain from the brackets rubbing the inside of my cheeks and lips. I only used my lip guard once yesterday and that was from an hour. Lip guards are the shit, quick to take on and off, and awesome for a mouth full of razors in the beginning.

     Pain wise it hasn't been so bad. Early yesterday I took two Advil. Last night I had a dessert that consisted of ice cream and a Whiskey Sour. I think that worked better than the Advil!

Today this is what is going on in my mouth:
  • Left Front Quarter - slight pain, pressure, and cannot chew 
  • Left Back & Right Front Quarter - Slight pressure, pulling when clenching and chewing 
  • Right Back Quarter - I hardly feel my braces, the slightest pulling when clenching and chewing


     So far I have learned a few things about braces. First, Tuna Salad is not so braces friendly. It is easy to eat, and yummy, but boy you cannot get it out without a Waterpik. It just hangs right on the brackets and wire for dear life. I think I will be keeping that as an At-Home only food.

     The next thing I learned is that Superfloss sucks o n braces. I really do not know what they were thinking. The threader build in is great, but then the line starts off as a fluffy cotton. It shreds on the wire and brackets, and gets stuck between the teeth. It may be great later on when things are in place, but for now it is not leaving my dental bag. I am currently using my normal floss and a threader, which is not so bad at all.

     Another thing that I have learned is the worse part of the braces, the thing that cause the most problems are the stupid tiny hooks on the brackets. The hooks are used for elastics during treatment. They are what causes the majority of rubbing. They grab every bit of anything that goes into your mouth. I got and ice cube stuck between my hook, tooth, and cheek! My teeth are already sensitive and angry so that was traumatic!

     The last thing I learned was you can still eat. Okay, I can still eat. It takes forever, but I ate solids. You are not automatically subjected to a all liquid and baby food diet with braces. Some people are, but it is case by case. That said it is still weird, annoying, and a pain to clean up the aftermath.

     Anyways here are some before, after, and such pictures. They are not beauty shots, so be warned they are up close and in my mouth.

Braces Photos http://shytnkaboodle.blogspot.com/p/braces-photos.html


No comments:

Post a Comment